Monday, May 16, 2011

Let's Talk 30.

I mentioned yesterday that the idea of turning thirty next year has sort of parked itself in the forefront of my mind over the last while. And it has. . . bordering on the obsessive. I know lots of people who freak out at the very thought of thirty because the idea of getting older is a horrifying one. I don't care so much that I'm going to start looking older or that there's a new number starting off my age after this. I'm reminded of an amazing mission companion I had while I was in the MTC. She was exactly what I needed, and I'll tell you why. Weeks before we left the country we were talking about all the French food with anticipation, and I expressed my determination to 'not get fat'. She looked at me and laughed and said, "But eating chocolate and pastries is happy fat, and that kind doesn't count!" My stressed-out self needed her easy-going nature more than I think she ever knew.

That's what I'm thinking when it comes to wrinkles. Just like the poundage from Parisian pastries is inevitable (ooh- lovin' the alliteration!), wrinkles are bound to happen. So I'm thinking why not embrace it and go for happy wrinkles? I plan to wear my face out with smiles and laughter and be one of those cute old ladies whose eyes crinkle up at the corners and you just want to squish because you can't help but love them instantly.

Anyway, back to the original point; the physical aging isn't what I'm obsessing over. It's more the fact that I feel like I should have my life all figured out and this overwhelming need to feel incredibly accomplished when I say goodbye to my twenties. I couldn't even tell you what I define 'accomplished' as at the moment. Besides that, the problem is this: I'm a hopeless over-achiever and a perfectionist to boot, and that means that the list of "To-Do Before I'm Thirty" fills almost four pages. Hmm. I have a feeling this won't all cram into less than a year. When he saw my ten-foot scroll last night, Ryan was sweet enough to point out that I'm sort of expecting myself to have accomplished a lifetime of goals in half the time it takes and, despite the energetic enthusiasm, maybe I should re-evaluate my ambitions.

Hence the dilemma, and hence the thinking. So that's where I am: re-evaluating my ambitions and wondering what it is I 'need' to do to feel like I can look back with no regrets.

As of right now I don't know, but I'm enjoying taking stock and trying to figure it out.

I'd love to hear your thoughts- I know there are a few of you that have been there done that, and others who haven't yet but will join me in the near future.

Thoughts anyone???

5 comments:

Dan said...

This is something that has been on my mind as well. I have much less time than you to complete the "to-do list" (13 days). So I am choosing to go with the "look at all I've done list." :) It is pretty impressive that we are in our 20s and already have husbands and a family. We have jobs and stability. I would say that is more than most and pretty impressive.

v said...

I have to tell you this: I think you are one of the funnest, kindest, got-priorities-in-the-right-place type of person. Seriously, I just love you and admire you and I think you'll spend your life filled with good things. How important it is to be happy and uplifting. I just had to tell you

Lisa said...

I don't think it matters what amazing things we have accomplished, we'll always feel like we should have done more. I have been thinking the same thing because most people I know approaching 30 have 2-4 kids. You are amazing Molly, and it sounds like you have had a very enriching life so far!

I also have another thought- I teach some adult violin students. Some are are 20-something, some are 60-something. It is NEVER to late to accomplish something on your list!

Kathy Badger said...

I have learned that the Lord gives us a lifetime, and that includes eternity! We WILL learn it all, develop all talents and skills, and if it's on the other side that we get to that goal...then we will just learn it faster!!!
Right now, here on earth, I've learned that the skills and talents I develop are to bless others and developing relationships - to be an instrument in the Lord's hands. I have also learned not to get too anxious about life; take one step at a time, use your time well, and where ever you are...BE THERE! You can plan you life away and miss what's right in front of you (and they are little for such a short time!!!) So tune your instrument and be lead by the Master:) Love you!!

Lisa said...

I have some comments about wrinkles. I love the "happy" ones because they remind me of happy times. I am glad, at this point in my life, that I can smile and see them! Don't spend too much time feeling concern over them because they are there to remind us of all the experieinces we have had. How better to learn than from our happy wrinkled faces?! Love you lots! Mar