Thursday, May 26, 2011

If motherhood were a job, and I was applying, I'm not sure I'd get a second interview


Yesterday the kids and I decided to take advantage of the sunshine (it's so fleeting this year!) and get outside for a little while. We spread our blanket on the grass outside the apartment and broke open a tub of sidewalk chalk to let our inner artists escape.

Amid the greens and pinks of hopscotch and other doodles, Reese noticed a small ant making its way across the pavement. She tried to jump on it, but, thanks to her not-quite-developed coordination, she missed repeatedly and each time the ant surged forward, determined to survive to march another day. Thinking to myself that this was a great moment to teach the value of life, I launched into a wonderful lecture about living things, how we are merely visiting their home when we step outside, that they are beautiful and we should respect and let them be. She contented herself with laying a large leaf over the ant, a lovely new 'home' that just happened to block him from view.

I was feeling pretty good about my parenting skills when something caught my eye and I turned my head to look at it. A big, black, hairy spider was creeping up the sidewalk towards us. In an reflex of horror and defense I snatched up a nearby sandal and sent him flying, unfortunately leaving a smear of spidery goo across the sidewalk in front of us.

Silence.

"Where's the spider, Mom?" Reese asked.

That's what her words said, her innocent blue eyes stared into my soul and said something far worse.

Hypocrite.

It was an awful dilemma, and I did the only thing I could.

I lied.

"Well, Sweetie, the spider decided to go for a walk. See?
He's probably headed home now, all the way down there."


Fake it 'til you make it, right?

7 comments:

v said...

So funny! Your story telling skills are awesome! Love it!

Jill Manis said...

haha, did the only thing I could. I lied. :) yep!

Harper said...

This is AWESOME, Molly! I would have done the same things, too: smashed the spider and lied.

We do what we gotta do, right?

Lemonpeel said...

lol!!! LOL! I knew this was going to be a great post as soon as I read the title! hahahahaha! you are so stinking hilarious! hahaha I'm still literally laughing out loud! :) you da best.

Justin D. Badger said...

HAHA! Molly, you did the right thing. The rule of respecting living things doesn't apply to spiders. Besides it probably would have killed the ant that Reese had just created a new home for. Awesome post. I am loving your renewed drive to regularly blog.

The Denning Family said...

Molly, this was absolutely hilarious!! For one, it had perfect wording, two, I, too, have had this hypocritical issue.....very funny!! This is Jeannette by the way...

Lisa said...

I can't remember the number of spiders that I have killed for the sake of my family! Your intentions were good and I love the way that you used the ant as a teaching moment. Spiders are right up there with worms, only you can't kill them; they just grow.
Loved it.
Mar