Monday, March 30, 2009

A Few Thoughts

I felt like writing something personal today. A change from my usual, humorous observation of the world around me.

Yesterday I was released from my calling at church, one I've had for over a year, and one that required a lot in the area of service and personal sacrifice. Once home, Ryan and I got to talking about just how much we've changed in the last year; we talked not only of the change, but the overwhelming improvement that change has brought. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that service makes us better than we ever could be by just focusing on ourselves and working the 'me-time' into our calendars. We've all heard it a million times over, especially from our religious leaders, yet the world around us spouts so much of the opposite we find ourselves hesitating to look out instead of in. After all, who wouldn't take a full-body massage over hours spent cleaning someone's house?

Luckily the Lord knows better than the self-help books. He knows that our own happiness, wisdom, and ability to love increase as we forget ourselves and get to work helping those around us. I love that aspect of the gospel!

I don't want this to turn into a talk or a sermon or anything like that, but I think I just wanted to recognize what I've learned. And somehow, for me, putting thoughts on paper engrain them that much more in my mind and keep them in the forefront for days when I forget the things that really make me happy.