Monday, February 28, 2011

Better Late than Never- Let's chat about the Mockingbird!

Hello Everyone!

I'm sure all of you have been dying to discuss our latest Badger Book Club read, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and have wondered what's been keeping me. Well, friends, it's a combination of a crazy week (my last week of teaching, two kids with repeated colds, etc.), and waiting for Ry to finish reading the book. He wrapped it up last night, so here I am to get back on track and start the party.

Ok, so is it possible that anyone didn't love this book? I read it years ago in high school and remember loving it, but there was just so much more to it that I remembered. I have to say that I don't think I really got all of it the first time through. SUCH great themes, AMAZING characters, and life lessons scattered everywhere like Hansel and Gretel crumbs.

For this discussion, I would love to know what part or characters left their mark on you. Who made you want to be better? What moment burned itself into your memory? What did you think of the book overall? And, since I was once an English literary analysis major, what was the theme that you noticed the most, woven throughout it all? Feel free to answer any or all of those questions. :)

For me, I have to say that there are several characters that I absolutely loved. One of them was Atticus Finch. Talk about a rock of inspiration and amazing parenting skills! I could go on for a while about that, but why not just send you to this great link that does it for me?! ;) Check it out.

The 'moment' that changes me is this,

"Will you take me home?"

Followed by Scout's glimpse into Boo's life viewed from the Radley porch, this is the most touching part of the book to me. The reality and vulnerability just closes off my throat every time.

One of the overwhelming themes of the entire book is that underneath every exterior- whether it's Mrs. Dubose, Walter Cunningham, Tom Robinson or Boo- is strength, love, character, and vulnerability. Basically everything we hope to find in ourselves. Atticus said it best,

“If you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you’ll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view—until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.

I love the final discussion between Scout and Atticus-

". . . an Atticus, when they finally saw him, why he hadn't done any of those things, . . . Atticus, he was real nice. . . "
"Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.

Perfectly summed up.

Ok, enough of me, what were your favorite parts?


5 comments:

Justin D. Badger said...

Reading your post makes me wish I had read it again. This was the book that made me realize that reading can be fun and that fictions are interesting. I absolutely LOVE this book. I read it in high school and then read it again about a year or so ago. I also must say it is even more fun to read it in the South. You really get a better understanding as they talk about the collards, and eating scuppernongs, the kudzu and sweltering heat and humidity.

As far as characters, how can you not love Atticus Finch, he is definitely the rock. I think the summary on the back puts it best; it is a book about growing up. I loved reading about Scout and Dill and Jem's adventures and could see myself in those situations; sleeping outside on a warm summer nights when you think you hear sounds or slowly sneaking to the fence to get a peak inside that creepy house.

However, for me, the overall theme, as you said Molly, was completely comprised in Atticus' quotes, "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." This theme was addressed over and over, of course most predominantly with the character of Boo Radley.

A few of my favorite parts include Atticus shooting the dog, just cause it is manly and cool. The trial of Tom because Harper Lee really lets the symbolism of killing a "mockingbird" clear as Atticus makes it so obvious that Tom was innocent and Bob Ewell was the real criminal. However, my favorite is the last few chapters as Scout and Jem are walking back from the school; I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I love the interaction in Jem's room when Scout sees and recognizes Boo and Heck Tate insists that Bob Ewell "fell" on his knife and says, "To my way of thinkin’, Mr. Finch, taking the one man who’s done you and this town a great service an‘ draggin’ him with his shy ways into the limelight—to me, that’s a sin. It’s a sin and I’m not about to have it on my head. If it was any other man, it’d be different. But not this man, Mr. Finch." I love that he uses the word sin, another subtle indication of who the mockingbird is and a reminder that it is a "sin to kill a mockingbird."

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! To all those reading this, if you have not yet read it, then repent and get to it. Anyone who knows me knows that it has got to be a good book if it made me enjoy reading.

Meagan said...

Ugg our personal library is lacking this book (how is that even possible?) And the local library's books are all checked out and I'm still on the waiting list. Ugg.

The part that sticks out most in my mind from high school was how methodically Atticus defended Tom (I think it was Tom right?) There is NO WAY he would have been convicted today. And I remember how sad I was when Tom tried to escape and was killed. An amazing book.

Lemonpeel said...

the library finally FINALLY has a copy checked in (it's a darn popular book - mental note: must purchase) and I'm snagging it TO-NIGHT! can't wait to read it again, I almost got teary just reading your synopsis. :)

Unknown said...

Yes!!! I'm so happy reading your comments- Justin , I totally agree with the feel of the book- I felt like I was right there as well on the front porch. LOVE the reality of it all- LOVE the writing quality and style that makes you completely forget you're reading, and instead makes you feel like you're LIVING it. Love.

And another thing to bring up here, didn't you just love the contrast and irony that Lee brings as we hear throughout almost the entire book from Aunt Alexandra how one family is 'this', and another tends toward 'that', and yet, right in keeping with the quotes we mentioned earlier, almost every person we get to know through the writing is NOT what they have been labeled: Mrs. Dubose, the Cunninghams, even Aunt Alexandra herself. There is so much more to them- goodness and strength and a human-ness that earns your love and respect.

Three cheers for literary irony!!!

It's almost like she's trying to teach us something. . .

or somethin'. ;)

And to everyone else- SO happy to have you in the discussion- Read on, my lovelies, read on!!!

Unknown said...

(That was me, Molly, by the way- forgot to sign in, but you probably figured out who it was anyway. :)