Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cupcake Sunday

I've taken to baking like a crazy woman on Sundays, mostly because I miss my working hubby and cooking keeps me busy and insanely happy while he's gone. Without realizing it, I think I've designated Sunday as Cupcake Day. Last week was Chocolate Cardamom with Ganache Frosting. And this week?
Ginger Spice with Tangy Peach Swiss Buttercream.


It's a beautiful thing when ideas that have been bouncing around in your head for weeks turn out SO good. I got the idea while watching Stranger Than Fiction (love it!), and somehow knew they would be a hit before I even started baking them today.

My brain has lately been on overload with the amount of sweet things I've been dreaming up to 1-) get ready for the French Pastry class I'm teaching in a week 2-) plan birthday cakes for my parents' combined birthday party next weekend, and 3-) organize the at times overwhelming endeavor I plan to launch once we return to Provo.
So, more than ever before, I should be sick of it all, and yet I'm not. I can't get enough of trying new recipes, and my brain won't stop talking about all the amazing new flavors and garnishes it's coming up with. Nice to know that some things in life are guaranteed. :)




Here's the recipe for you to enjoy through tasty peach season--



Ginger Spice Cake

1 c. sugar
½ c. butter (1 cube)
1 egg
½ tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
½ tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 ½ c. applesauce

Cream butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add applesauce and mix well. Sift dry ingredients together and mix into wet mixture until incorporated. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until center springs back when touched. For cupcakes, fill 15 liners a little less than 2/3 full, and bake 15-18 minutes.

Tangy Peach Swiss Buttercream
(enough to lightly frost 24 cupcakes)

1 cup granulated sugar
4 large egg whites
3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 ripe peaches, blended until smooth in food processor


Put the sugar and egg whites in a mixer bowl or another large heatproof bowl, fit the bowl over a plan of simmering water and whisk constantly, keeping the mixture over the heat, until it feels hot to the touch, about 3 minutes. The sugar should be dissolved, and the mixture will look like shiny marshmallow cream.

Remove the bowl from the heat.Working with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the meringue on medium speed until it is cool, about 5 minutes.

Switch to the paddle attachment if you have one, and add the butter a stick at a time, beating until smooth. Once all the butter is in, beat in the buttercream on medium-high speed until it is thick and very smooth, 6-10 minutes. During this time the buttercream may curdle or separate – just keep beating and it will come together again.On medium speed, gradually beat in the peach puree a few tablespoons at a time, waiting until each addition is absorbed before adding more. You should have a shiny smooth buttercream. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes or press a piece of plastic against the surface of the buttercream if not using immediately.


Then, of course, find a fork and enjoy! We sure did.





2 comments:

megan... said...

I'm taking a break from sweets for the month of August- but you'd better believe I know what I want to make come September!!

Melese & Kyle said...

Um, I'm pretty sure I've come up with the best idea ever... you should write a book. I'm serious. i would totally buy it along with 50 million other people I'm sure... well think it over and then let me know when it's being published :)