Friday, November 11, 2011

The Book of November





It occurs to me that we never discussed reading The Help.

It was a stellar book- loved the humor, loved the urgency to turn the page and keep reading.  So well written, and a wonderful style to do it in.  I loved the changing points of view throughout.  It felt like a mystery, an action-thriller, and a history lesson all rolled into one.  Awesome.  
In fact, I wept as I turned the last page.  A sure sign of a great story. It's definitely on my favorite books list.  And now I can see the movie- the great part about always being a step behind is that it's probably bound for the cheap theaters in no time.
Huzzah.
One of my favorite parts was the 'interview' with the author in the last pages where she describes her own experiences as a white family with 'help' in Jackson.  I love fiction based on true stories!
We'd love to hear your thoughts too!

Well, this little book club has definitely gone through an interesting evolution through its first year.  Mostly we've been ambitious, overly busy, and consistently behind, but thanks for following anyway.  :)


Here's what we're reading this month. . . 




It's an beautiful book; it's poignant and honest and life-changing.  
We hope you'll pick it up, read with us, and join us December 1st for a discussion.


No comments: