Thursday, September 1, 2011

Time's Up!


Alright, it's the end of the month, or rather the beginning of a new one, and that means it's end of one Book Club era and the beginning of another.  So let's wrap it all up and talk about Young Adult Literature.  For August, the challenge was to read as many young adult books as possible- hopefully new ones- and report back.  Well, being the visual people we are, we plastered our accomplishments up on the wall for bragging- er. . . tracking.  Yes, tracking purposes only.
After the first week or so, this is what it looked like. . . 




The month wore on, and Ryan, being the sneaky man he is, decided to keep all his cards in his hand, ready to lay them all down at the end and wipe me out.  Sort of reminds me of playing canasty with a friend of mine and her dad when I was young.  He always creamed us.  
Anyway, last night, our board turned into this. . . 

.  

I had such aspirations of reading the entire Series of Unfortunate Events (that's the SOUE abbreviation there), but unfortunately- no pun intended- got the idea too late in the month and only made it through a couple before the buzzer sounded.  Ry and I also started reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy together (how have we never read this book?!), but didn't get through it all in time.
I guess we'll just have to finish that one this weekend!

Ok, so the absolute BEST part of this month's Book Club was finding making time for reading again.  With the craziness of life, I had sort of resigned myself to not reading as much as I would like until, oh I don't know, the kids were' grown up and left the house.  But in just one month I read a heap of books that have been on the must-check-out list for ages.  And some of them were AMAZING!  

My two favorites were. . . 

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff

and


A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith


If you haven't picked these up, then you DEFINITELY should!  Both beautiful and incredibly moving stories that just become a part of you.

Ok, now it's your turn- what did you read this month?


And, ahem, I just want to point out something in case you didn't notice.

I totally beat Ryan!


HOORAY!!!

That's all. :)



Get Ready for September's Book-- we'll announce it tomorrow!

2 comments:

My Oatmeal Kisses said...

I just finished Pictures of Hollis Woods. Loved it!! Thanks for the recomendation. I can't wait until I get A Tree in Brooklyn from the library.

Molly said...

You will love it! My bleu- Soeur Frandsen recommended it to me and it's only taken about 6 years to pick it up! :) So so worth it!