Friday, August 27, 2010

Let's talk Laundry


Every so often I happen upon a product that seriously causes a near heart attack of pleasure because it just works SO well. Usually these are cleaning products- the last one was
Shaklee's Scrubby Stuff aka "Scour Off"

Ryan informed me that for him this wasn't quite as life-changing, having grown up on a steady diet of Shaklee everything, but it was absolute revelation to me! A MUST for anyone who has kids that like to draw on things or wants to clean their oven without all those wretched fumes while keeping their hands and arms intact and hardly having to scrub. Seriously awesome. I keep telling my mother-in-law I should be on a commercial for Shaklee- it's that much enthusiasm.

Anyway, that's not actually the commercial spot I'd like to share with you today. Last night I discovered something that simply ROCKED MY WORLD!

Ok, so how many of you have accidentally washed whites with something colored (those problematic baseball tees, for example, or a stray sock?) and had color bleed all over the white fabric? Me too. And usually what I do is curse myself for being stupid and then I try to wash it again with lots of Shout or OxyClean but eventually give the shirt (or whatever it is) up for dead. And sometimes I cry.

That's what happened yesterday. Last week I found all these adorable little onesies for Sam at a garage sale and one of them, a cute baseball tee had a slight stain on it so I decided to soak a few of the white ones with it in OxyClean along with a few new, white Maternity Shirts. Somehow the fact that this baseball tee had red sleeves didn't really register, or maybe I figured that since it wasn't brand new it was ok. Long story short, I emptied the bucket to find everything streaked with hot pink- and I mean big streaks. Oh Horror- The red had bled everywhere! All the cute onesies, the shirts I loved, even the baseball tee was SO much worse than it started. And it's not like I could just make the pink work- we're having a boy!

That's when I discovered Rit Laundry Treatment, Color Remover (Thank you Google!). Good night nurse- this stuff is A-MAZE-ING! In just one wash, it completely removed ALL pink from everything. I couldn't stop talking about it all night- with everything in exclamation points. :) I SO wish I'd had the presence of mind to snap before and after shots. Ooh, and guess what- only $1.66 a box at your local Wal-Mart! Simply stellar.

Here's the very basics of how it works. When colors bleed it's considered a loose dye. Apparently there is a difference between loose and set dyes- the loose ones can be removed!
Rit Color Remover actually pulls all the loose dye from the fabric and just flushes it away, leaving whites looking amazing! So the trick is not to throw that splotchy clothing in the dryer before treating it, because wet or even air-dried clothing keeps the stain a loose dye, whereas the dryer will set it.


So there you go. Now you know what I know, and isn't it great to share?
That's what I keep telling Reese, but that's another battle for another day. ;)

So here's a question for you-

What is your can't-live-without-it, I'm-a new-woman-since-I-discovered _____ product or household tip?

I'd love to know more of these little miracles!

7 comments:

debby said...

you want another testimonial?

i have a beautiful quilt that my mom made for me - red and cream fabrics. and i washed it. i washed it on cold and opened the washing machine to find a red and pink quilt. horror of horrors. i cried, long and hard. and then i found this product and it changed my life.

also, shout color catchers are awesome for protection from this sort of problem and also work in the clean-up problem.

too bad i'm not being paid for this comment...

@lliE from FreshlyCompleted said...

What a useful post. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Harper said...

Thanks for sharing this, Molly. We'll be trying this product in the future, when I inevitably ruin some clothes.

Molly said...

Ooh, I totally agree on the color catchers too, although I've never seen them work quite this well.

Seriously, I think the whole cleaning industry needs to have open auditions for commercials involving moms' favorite products.

Talk about making money from home. :)

Megan Smith said...

yay! I need that! I accidentally washed a black and *white* dress of Annalee's in with the darks (there was more black than white, afterall) and the white is not white anymore. I was really sad about that but you've given me hope! I'll try it!!

Molly said...

Do it.

It's amazing!

Christine said...

So, I have absolutely loved Magic Eraser...for a long time...but now I love it even MORE!

In our last house we had a glass shower-- and I swore I would never have one again, because they are darned hard to clean!! All of the soap scum that builds up, and the hard water stains on the glass are so hard to scrub off. But, alas, glass showers are the trend right now, and that's what all the new houses have, so we have one again.

But, it was Suzanne who called to my attention the miraculous power of cleaning a bathroom with a Magic Eraser. So-- I thought for kicks I would try my glass shower-- hardly ANY scrubbing needed!!! Stuff came off like a DREAM! In no time, my shower was clean! You know how black stuff can accumulate on the bottom of showers or tubs?? Magic Eraser seriously scrapes the stuff off without a ton of scrubbing. It's amazing!! They just recently came out with a bathroom/kitchen Magic Eraser which I thought was probably just a scam to make you pay more when the original worked just fine in a bathroom-- but, I thought I'd try it anyway, and it really is better for a bathroom! It's a lot stronger, and it cleaned the soap scum in between our tiles like a DREAM!! (Maybe I AM in a dream????)

Anywho...best thing EVER! ;)