Thursday, July 15, 2010

You plan to eat WHAT?!!!

We are currently taking a Hypnobabies Childbirthing Class in preparation for little Sammy to arrive (only 2 1/2 more months!!) and really enjoying it. The material is awesome, we love our teacher, but there's just one interesting note- our class is full of crazy hippies. It's both the highlight of our week to have something to giggle over and slightly annoying to endure the endless tirade of tips and oh-so-important, natural bits of. . . insight. Calling your congressman daily to save the earth, happy rice vs. depressed rice, the rising need for hookworms to combat seasonal allergies ("We all need MORE in our feet!"), there's just so much to write about.

However, last week took the cake thus far- and only our second class! Since we had a slight glitch with babysitters and Ry was suffering from a cold anyway, I attended class alone, and did I ever have something to share when Ry picked me up at the end of the night! The subject was eating the placenta.

No, I didn't mis-type that, and I totally agree- What the. . . ?!!!

I was significantly horrified, and the feeling only compounded as they spoke of a woman in SLC that actually takes orders to freeze dry, grind and fill capsules with placenta, to provide you with not only a great source of hormone-boosting, nutrient-replenishment after the baby, but a little something extra to save for those pesky menopausal days coming in only a few short decades.

Um, I don't believe 'eew' quite covers this one. I'm sure that someone out there is going to write me a comment condemning my narrow-minded view, but I've gotta say that this sort of thing is something akin to cannibalism for me. EAT something the came out of your own BODY?! Haven't we moved past this? Is it really necessary- good grief, has technology not brought us to a point where we can purchase and consume quality vitamin supplements? Not to mention a slough of healthy, naturally-raised options in produce, protein, and grains? It was nuts, and I don't mind saying so.

But you know, if you're interested, I now know a woman who can help you out if you're the natural, placenta-eating type. :)

12 comments:

@lliE from FreshlyCompleted said...

SiiiIIIIck!!!

Becky Martineau said...

that is, by far, THE most disgusting, vile, horrific, thing I have ever heard of eating.

i'm dry-heaving just thinking about it.

Steph Wardle said...

ONE WORD- BARF.

Ben said...

I heard Tom Cruise did that. But I just thought he was in his own level of craziness. Now I know others exist, and that scares me.

Eeva said...

HAHAHA!! Sounds all too familiar, I've heard it all. I'm glad I found your blog, I don't know if you remember us Kennedys. I'm thinking about trying hypno-birthing next time. Last time my natural birthing plans flew out the window when pre-eclampsia hit me! :)

Kathy Badger said...

Don't think this in on the list of "foods in the season thereof" from the Word of Wisdom! SOOOO gross!!!!

Molly said...

SO glad to hear we're all on the same level of revulsion here. I knew we couldn't be the minority in REAL life! :)

Anonymous said...

LMAO

Well I haven't done it, but I have looked it up trying to figure out why.
"The placenta contains high levels of various vitamins, such as B6, which can help curb postpartum depression. Eating the placenta enables the mother to "reclaim" these vitamins and put them to use in her own body. Placentophagia may also increase a mother's blood levels of a hormone known as CRH (corticotropin-releasing hormone), a known stress-reducer. This hormone is normally secreted by the hypothalamus. According to a study performed by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), "During the last trimester of pregnancy, the placenta secretes so much CRH that the levels in the bloodstream increase threefold. However, it was also discovered that postpartum women have lower than average levels of CRH, triggering depressive symptoms. They concluded that the placenta secreted so much CRH that the hypothalamus stopped producing it (http://placentabenefits.info/medicinal.asp)." After childbirth, the hypothalamus doesn't immediately receive the signal to begin producing CRH again, which can lead to postpartum depression. Eating the placenta can raise a mother's CRH levels, reducing symptoms of postpartum depression."


I briefly entertained the idea, but then again, I really don't get grossed out by things like that. So there ya have it.

I'm a Hypnobabies instructor, I just happened across your blog. Is this something the instructor is *teaching* you to do? We have a pretty strict idea of what we are supposed to be teaching, and that's pretty much what comes out of the book. Nothing added or subtracted.

Either way, I've had 3 Hypnobabies births. I encourage you to ignore the Hippies. Do the practice, and have a wonderful birth!! =)
Have you joined the yahoo group?

Molly said...

In answer to your question,

No, it's nothing our teacher suggested, just a few of the mothers-to-be in the class. No worries- we love our class and will continue on, undeterred, with our practices and Hypnobabies birth. ;)

Thanks for your comment!

Lemonpeel said...

haha!!! there was guffawing by both Kyle and I as we read this, and I plan on filling him in about the hook worms... oh the laughter we will have!! :)

Anonymous said...

can you imagine being the woman that makes this? how can you put that on a business card? can you imagine calling in the order for business cards or yellow page ads?

Harper said...

What the, what the?! I am right there with you on this one, Molly. Eek!

What's the deal with the hookworms? There is no way in the world that I'd try it, but I'm curious.