Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summer Reading

Our internet's been a little shifty for the last few weeks, and so I've just spent the last hour or so catching up on everyone's lives, and loving it. I love all the funny little things that happen from day to day- I think that's one of the greatest things about blogging. It's fantastic that we suddenly feel confident and justified in publishing the otherwise overlooked and seeemingly insignificant nothings of our life for the world to see. I'm a huge fan of nothings.

Well, life in Montana is great- quite the vacation-land. True, most everything closes up around 5 or 6 (or sometimes earlier), and while we went through a little detox our first month (i.e. "So, do you want to hang out at Walmart or Barnes and Noble for our date tonight?) the gorgeous scenery and outdoor adventures are winning us over. It is absolutely beautiful here.
One of the things that makes me feel like I'm on vacation the most is that I'm reading like crazy. The best part about summer to me when I was a kid was the fact that I could stay up pretty much however late I wanted reading. I know, I'm a nerd. But still, I didn't have to get up for school, so it was ok if I blitzed my brain by staying up to finish an extra book. Ahh, those crazy summer nights!
Getting back to it, in the last week I've tucked three novels under my belt, read through countless cookbooks (you had to see that one coming), and am halfway through two others. I have loved them all so much I just had to share.

Heartbeat by Sharon Creech- She is one of my favorite authors (see other recommendation further down), and this book was wonderful. I love the strong character role-models she gives for young girls.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown- I heard from so many people that they liked this one better than the first, and after reading it. . . I still don't know. I suppose I'm partial to the first for Parisian reasons, but I gotta say this guy definitely knows how to write a page-turner!

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo- LOVE LOVE LOVED it! It was charming and delightful and I felt myself tear up just a bit, which is always a sign of an excellent book.

Here are the books I'm currently in the middle of, and I'm LOVING them. Both highly recommendable!

His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis


Prelude to Glory Series by Ron Carter


Reading the young adult books this last week reminded me of so many others great ones, so here are some of my favorites if you are looking for something to read to your kids or happen to love the genre yourself.


Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath


Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech- this is quite possibly my favorite book of all time!


Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

So there you go, just a few of my favorites. I hope you pick one of them up- and yes I know, titles should be underlined instead of italicized, but where in the world is the underline button?!
My English professors would be ashamed.

No comments: