Monday, September 24, 2012

The Saga of the Half


Well, I did it.
I ran a half marathon!

Despite nerves, 
the paranoia of sleeping through three alarms, 
coming down with the stomach flu mere days before, 
and forgetting my shoes back in Logan (I know!),

I totally did it and I had the time of my life!

It was an absolutely incredible experience,
and I'm already getting pumped for the next one.




Here I am, a bundle of nerves with a smile on my face getting ready to board the bus at 5am





Wish I could have brought my camera along, cause when we got to the drop-off point it looked like an outerspace refugee camp- people everywhere, huddled in metallic mylar blankets on the side of the road.

Finally the time came to throw off my own blanket and get ready to run.
The gun went off, and I hit it.  It was all pretty thrilling.
We ran through the dark for the first few miles, 
but it was great to get moving and warm up.



My nerves held out for a while, but by about mile 5 or so I got over it and had a BLAST!  




The scenery continued to get more and more gorgeous and I loved it all until about mile 12-
that last mile was rough and I was feeling pretty spent.

The crazy part was that I happened to glance up and see the time on 
a gas station billboard-
I was out of the canyon SOOOO much earlier than I'd planned,
and the thought occurred that my cheerleaders might not make it to the finish line in time to see me cross.
My phone was dead, so texting was out.  
Fortunately I was so psyched about beating my time I didn't worry at all, 
and sent a prayer heavenward that they'd somehow make it early.

Luckily, they did. 





I was so tired, but when I rounded that last corner and could actually see the finish line I couldn't help but sprint 
(had no idea I had that left in me!)

It.  Was.  Awesome.









So here's how it all ended-

Time: 2:12:15
10:02 min/mile

444th overall (half & full)
283rd among the ladies
79th in my age division


Then it was time for some celebration with my fan club.  There was TONS of food, but I don't think anything in my life will ever taste as good as that orange I peeled and devoured with 
shaking hands right after getting my finishers medal.



Ooh- crazy hair!
Reese came over chanting, "You won- you WON, Mommy!"
That was as good as the orange. 










Yay for Jimmy Johns...





...and awesome family who woke up early to come out and cheer me on! 
Thanks SOOO much you guys- you're seriously amazing!




 And Ry, I never could have done it all without your unbelievable support.
I love you more than I can say, Babe!
And Sam, thanks for sharing your birthday glory with me-
Oh how I love my sweet munchkins! 





 Feelin' pretty tough in my oh-so-white skin!
Lol- who cares if I'm blindingly pale-

I DID IT!

huzzah. huzzah.

1 comment:

v said...

I'm in awe!!! I can't even imagine all the work that goes into that. I don't want to put my body through that much exertion unless I get a new baby out of it. XD. Kudos to you!