Monday, May 21, 2012

Bless her little carsick soul!


This weekend was one for the journal.  The kids and I took Ryan up to Great Falls to start his new job, and oh-so-much happened that I hardly know where to start.

First of all, let me just say that for all that Ry and I think we're super-tough people, saying goodbye for what we're pretty sure will be about 3 weeks was just about the WORST thing ever to occur.  To some of you I'm sure we sound like babies, but I don't even care.  It was awful!  So much weeping (meaning, uh. . . just me, not a bit of Ryan mixed in there. . . at all), and lingering, and to top it all off I had to leave him at a century-old Catholic school run by nuns where he, being a guy, was banished to the west wing and a tiny cell of a room with nothing but a 70's afghan-covered bed, a large crucifix hanging behind the door, and a gold-leafed bible.

We would never have made it in the 1800's.  All those men leaving their families to make a life out West before sending for the wife and kids?  I'm fairly certain I would have voted for living in squallor over months' separation and a few extra acres.

Anyway.  The trip up from my parents' that morning was a little over four hours, and so, after brushing off my tears, Reese's questions of what in the world happened to put me in such a state, and almost scraping off our bumper leaving the convent, we turned right around and started back for Island Park. 

A few hours into the trip back, through VERY windy mountain roads I should add, Reese started to complain about a stomach ache.  Ry and I'd just been raving about what a great traveller she is over the trip so I turned the fan on, rolled down her window in spurts, and did the mom thing- "You're fine!  Breathe in that cool air- now don't you feel better?!"  It was all very upbeat and perky.

After a few minutes I heard a strange sound in the back and looked back to see Reese with her cheeks all puffed out, staring at me wide-eyed.  Now before I tell you the next part and I look like a terrible parent, I want to mention that Reese frequently takes a drink of water and just holds it in her cheeks for a few minutes before swallowing.  That said, when I saw her I offhandedly told her, "Reese, swallow it down, babe."   The look on her face was priceless:  her large eyes opened even wider, her lips pursed a little tighter, and she looked panicked as she emphatically shook her head No!  That's when I noticed her complexion had a certain green hue. 

Crap.

"Just hold it for a minute sweetie!  We'll pull over. . .Mommy's got this! "  I was still playing the perky card, but there was an edge of panic to it now.

Fortunately we were just passing through a small town and I was able to park in the next few minutes- and she did it!  The sweet little dear sat there patiently, her cheeks bulging, until I opened the door and guided her to a parking lot gravel patch where she spit, swished some water, spit again and said,

"Thanks so much Mommy for helping me spit it out!"

I laughed and asked did she felt alright?  She responded,

"Yep.  I'm brave, Mommy.  I'm pretty brave."

Yes you are, my blessed girl!  Alas,if only I'd learned my lesson; an hour later the same complaints started afresh, but, being so close to the Idaho border, the temptation to just push on and be done already with the driving bulldozed my common sense.


Despite the rolled down window, the second and third eruptions nailed the backseat.

Apparently I haven't earned my Wise Mommy merit badge quite yet.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Oh the things mothers go through. Wish I was there with you.

Ryan said...

Oy with the vomit! Wish I was there with you babe. Hope you are having a great day.

Maegan Oliverson said...

Love your blog! And we miss ya'll too! Poor Reese!! I hope that was just carsickness and didn't last a long time. Yuck!