Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Roxy


"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

General George S. Patten, US General and 1912 Olympian

Amen, General. Amen.

I've been doing my best to kick things into high gear to get my baby weight off, and so despite getting occasionally off-track (oh how we enjoyed that batch of peanut butter cookies last week!) I feel pretty good about my efforts. Sam turns nine months tomorrow and I'm back where I started. Yay! I still have a way to go to where I'd like to be ideally, but at least I'm on my way.

I once read a book about a woman who, when things became really tough and she was sure there was no way she could do something, invented a sort of alternate woman she could become to get the task done. She would tell herself, "I may not be able to approach that person. . . but Anabel sure can!"

I have to tell you that I found this both hilarious and delightful. So much so, that I find myself, on occasion, deferring certain tasks to Roxy.

In fact, she finished my run this morning when I was sure my energy was completely spent and I'd never make the last mile. She's really quite the go-getter, you know.


So here's to mind over matter and the glories of an alter-ego!

4 comments:

@lliE from FreshlyCompleted said...

ROXY? That's so funny.

That totally reminds me of this:
http://www.nightswimming.com/rose/vicki/vicki1.html

Did you ever read Rose is Rose in the Sunday Paper?

Molly said...

It's a family name. ;)

I don't think I've seen either of those- I'll have to check them out! :)

Molly said...

Oh my word- I LOVE this!! Thank you for passing it on!

At least I'm not the only one who's kinda teetering on the edge. . . of course she's a cartoon. . . Hmmm. :)

Lisa said...

So true, my darling daughter!
Way to recognize it so soon. It took me a while as I was raising you guys, although I always was in approval of a serigate to take away the impossible.
Love, Mar