Saturday, June 18, 2011

Lovin'

The time has come once again for me to rant and rave about things that I love so much they simply can't be contained anymore.

The first has got to be Garage Sales and Thrift Stores. SO. MUCH. LOVE. We happened to be out driving last night and caught a woman setting up early for a yard sale she was having today and what was she putting out but a fabulous wooden hat stand for only $3! To understand how extremely cool this was you have to know that we were talking only the day before about how great it would be to find a cool hatstand for our living room. Seriously.

Despite the kiddos in the back, we snatched that and an like-new oscillating fan ($7) up and stuffed them into our car. And of course they fit because we're getting really good at fitting all sorts of odd things into our car- probably because both Ryan and I are SO stubborn the item being stuffed doesn't dare protest.

Anyway, the conquest inspired me. All day I've been reading a multitude of blogs like this one and this one about refinishing furniture, reupholstering chairs and couches and the like and I've made a decision: I'm going to jump in and become one of those crazy decorators with a plan, a wild glint in their eye, and a gorgeously eclectic home. Most of this is all coming to the surface as a result of us moving in less than a week (yeah, that kinda snuck up on me), and finding an apartment with an avocado kitchen. I say that and I'm sure most of you are thinking 'ew, the Sixties!', but I've gotta tell you I'm in love with it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it would have a place in the kitchen of my dreams, but I am such a fan of character and vintage that I can't help but love it. Plus, it reminds me a little of my grandma's house where we made many a lemon meringue pie or yellow cake with fluffy coconut frosting with delicious results.

I'm excited for the DIY summer I'm concocting in my head and plan to photograph and document it for posterity. . . or whoever might be reading. :)

Alright, one more thing I have to shout from the rooftops has been one of my all-time favorites as I've been nurturing my first successful container garden ever. That would be Freecycle.

I'm sure this fabulous site isn't a secret to most of you reading this (in fact I'm fairly certain I've chatted with the majority of you about it's wonders), but I'm putting my praise out there nonetheless. If you haven't checked this out, then what in the world are you waiting for?! Click on that link up there (but be sure to do the 'right click open in a new tab' thing so you can keep reading this!), find your area, and CHECK IT OUT. Ok, putting away the bossy pants now.

So would you like to know what I've found on Freecycle in just the last month? Would you?! Well, here's the awesome list of plant starts that are thriving on my porch. . .

Oregano
Sage
Chives
Chocolate Mint
Tarragon
Bachelor Buttons
and
Goldenrod

My garden is a beautiful thing to behold which makes me oh-so-happy! And the only things I've had to purchase myself are the potting soil and containers- isn't that awesome?!


That's all. Just a few more 'favorite things' I had to share. Spread the love people!!!

No comments: