Friday, March 11, 2011

Be Prepared. . . for a tight fit!


Our F.H.E. this week was something that we've had on the to-do list for a while.
We decided to re-pack our 72hr kits.
This is something that hasn't been done since Reese was probably about 6 months old, and seeing as how Ry was the highlight of our stake's Preparedness Fair last October, we thought we should probably get ourselves kicked in gear.

First of all, I wanted to show how we have organized our toiletries. It's a great idea I got from a friend of mine in our first student ward.



1. Hit the travel-size section of the local store and get a miniature of everything you need on a daily basis- plus a few extras.

We filled ours are filled with:
Nail Clippers
Mouthwash
Toothbrush & Toothpaste
Floss
Gum
Shampoo/Conditioner
Lotion
Chap stick
Deodorant
Small Comb
Washcloth
Tampons (not for Ryan of course!)
Hand Sanitizer
Q-tips

2. Take a hand towel, fold up the bottom half lengthwise, and lay out all of your items underneath the 'pocket'.
3. Pin or mark where you'll need to sew to create individual pockets,
4. Remove the toiletries and sew a straight line up from the fold.
5. With a length of ribbon, about 20"-24", bring the ends together and sew the fold to one end of your roll.
6. Tuck all your items back into the towel, in their own cute little pockets
7. Fold the top down over the openings to keep everything inside, then
8. Roll tightly from one end until you have a fat little toiletry roll
9. Tie securely with ribbon
and pack it into your bag



Ta-Da!


After working for a while, we got a little distracted.

"Hmm. . . this backpack is just about Sam's size. I wonder if. . . "





Yep. He does. :)



Snug as a bug in a rug.



Reese sporting her own little load- she gets to carry she and Sam's clothing, and apparently, she couldn't be more thrilled!



Hooray for Preparedness!

What great ways do you organize your 72-hr kits?

5 comments:

Lemonpeel said...

hehehe, don't you love how I've just gone down the line of your posts and commented on each one? I do. :)

love the picture of sam in the bag, it reminds me of Lily in the bucket...and the mailbox...and Kyle's backpack... hmmmm, okay we have a fetish ;)

Meagan said...

Love the idea of the hand towel and to be honest I never thought of getting that kind of stuff in our 72 hour kit. I must be crazy for not thinking of it, but I just have food in ours. Lots of food! :) I know that you need clothes at the ready but the kiddos grow out of them so quickly I haven't packed those in either. Thanks for the reminder!

Justin D. Badger said...

I am glad Reese is happy to carry her clothes cause she obviously doesn't like to wear them.

Unknown said...

lol! How true that is! :)

Megan said...

What a great idea! ;)
Sadly I have not updated my kit since I showed you my towel of stuff. I need to get on the ball. It's good to see other people working on it. Gives me a boost.
I think if I put Reese's back pack on Tyler he would fall over. He can hardly stand carrying his back pack when it is empty. lol