Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy Anniversary to US!


Ha, I just realized that my title is a lovely little play on words. Both the good old U S of A and my awesome hubby and I celebrated our anniversaries this weekend. And they were both fantastic.


We started the Fourth with a little Stars and Stripes breakfast- yeah, the bananas look more like flowers than stars, but maybe if you squint. . .



Since Ry had to work, and Reese decided to take a monster nap (no complaints here), I spent most of the day playing Pastry Chef. As a young child (this is pathetic, I know) I fell in love with a tv show called Cooking at the Academy. The Academy was actually a Culinary Institute of America, and I remember drooling over their professional jackets and perfectly pleated tokes. In fact, I still have the little recipe cards I wrote my favorite things down on- they were things like how to make chocolate teacups with tuile cookie spoons, and spun sugar birds' nests. What can I say, I was a quirky kid (my family will back me up on that one) who knew exactly what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.

Anyway, ever since then I've been wanting to make spun sugar myself. My culinary classes barely skimmed the surface of all the fun sugar work, and so, with my husband gone, and my two-year-old terror asleep, I celebrated Independence Day by going crazy with a pot of caramel.

And I had so much fun I almost cried.


Later that night, we ran out to the backyard to enjoy a little air and within a matter of seconds, were in the middle of a torrential downpour. We toughed it out for a few minutes, but Reese has a thing with getting wet, and apparently she didn't want anyone else to suffer either because even once we were sitting up on the porch she kept sobbing, "Daddy, TOES!!!" His feet were hanging over the steps and drops of rain were pelting them all over.

We opted to stay home for the fireworks show, and I'm so glad we did. We had a PERFECT view from our front window, and the combination of these fireworks being the best we have seen yet and the fact that we didn't have to deal with crowd control on the way home made it an excellent way to ring in our own anniversary. Which was simply wonderful.


To my Ryan,

I can't believe we've been married for 3 years, the time has absolutely flown by.


I've never laughed so much,

been so crazy and spontaneous,

had so many car problems,

found so much joy in pinning or pushing someone off the bed,

or been so completely happy as I have since I met you.

You rock my world, baby. I love you.


4 comments:

Erin Leigh said...

um hello, you look absolutely GORGEOUS in that first pic molly! happy anniversary america and badgers, ha ha!

Steph Wardle said...

i am listening to sappy music and when i saw and read your anniversary entry i almost teared up!!! lol- ANYWAY, happy to see a quality couple making it through another year :)

Melese & Kyle said...

your spun sugar looks freaking AWESOME moll! So Impressed! And PS love the picture of Ryan and Reese in the bathroom, so priceless - ahhh I miss you!! mmm-whah!

Justin D. Badger said...

Congrats, sounds like you both have come so far, unfortunately I can't say the same for Ryan's fashion sense. Seriously Ryan, that soccer jersey with those cammo pants? Wow, but I still love ya, happy anniversary.