Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Stop that incessant drumming, already.

Ok, so is it just me, or has this holiday brought more than its fair share of drumming? What I mean is that every single time I turn on the Christmas station I am inevitably met with that horrible 1960's version of "The Little Drummer Boy". The one with warbling women's voices and underlying rat-a-tat-tats. I can't remember a Christmas when I've heard this song so much! The other day I changed from station to station and each of them was playing one version or another of the song. Oi with the poodles already!

Did they even have drums back then? I don't recall the middle east being known for their percussion- they strike me as more of a finger symbol or rainstick region. And at such a spiritual event a drum is definitely not the most reverent of instruments, I don't care how many ruh-puh-pum-pums come with it.

Its my own personal "Groundhog Day," only I feel pretty certain I'm not going to have the whole change of heart and end up embracing the Drummer Boy. More likely, I'd poke a hole in his little drum.

Beat that.


After that little rampage I think I'd better leave the Neil Diamond topic to another day.

1 comment:

Megan Smith said...

That's funny because the show Annalee's group did last night the finale number was "The Little Drummer Boy" and I had the song in my head all the way home.