Monday, December 8, 2008

The Great Bearded Horror from the North

Its finally SNOWING!!! Yeah! Ry keeps telling me that this is normal, that snow doesn't usually come until December, but I'm an Idaho girl, and I'm used to trecking through the snow to go trick-or-treating. Needless to say, there has been something amiss in this holiday season, but now it feels like Christmas. :)
I have been especially crafty this Christmas Season, and i have to say that I am extremely proud of the stockings that I made a few weeks ago- reminiscent of my childhood stockings. Aren't they so cute?! Whoever invented iron-on . . . stuff was amazing.




Now for the topic that inspired today's title: Santa Claus. Who knew that the cheery bowl full of jelly, the man who brings gifts and good cheer to the entire world in just one night could extract such blood-curdling screams from children too young to know their own name?

Welcome to our Ward Christmas party. It was last Friday night- a wonderful pajama tradition filled with french toast (with a delicious coconut syrup this year), scrambled eggs, service projects, and of course, the annual appearance of the Main Man himself.
I've seen this several times. All the parents line up with their sometimes eager, sometimes whimpering children, all waiting to sit on Santa's lap. But I had never before in my life seen what we all saw on Friday.
It all started with Kris Kringle's entrance. . .and the horrific screams of one little boy. He tore across the gym in panic, and everything went downhill from there. One by one every kid in the room was placed on his lap, and every single one burst into tears! It was unreal- little girls' bodies shook with dramatic sobs, little boys skid across the gym floor as moms pushed them toward the fireside, the happiest, rolly-polliest babies in the world were reduced to wailing and tears! Three months or three years old, it didn't matter, the jolly fat man spread nothing but christmas fear.

And, of course, we couldn't help laughing our guts out. In fact, I think that more were gathered to watch this show than sung Christmas Carols.


Reese however, was the only one who didn't cry. (no pride there at all) She just looked at Santa like, "I don't trust you." He handed her a little christmas book and she deigned to give him a half smile. Unfortunately the friendship didn't last; St. Nick took her hand to shake without asking, "No? No?!" Reese told him as they shook hands, and pulled her hand away. She scrunched up her face and glared.



Oh well, maybe next year she'll look forward to the visit. But somehow, I don't think that Brother Smith will volunteer for the job again. Poor guy! That's gotta do something to you to have all those little kids take one look at you and lose it like that.

3 comments:

@lliE from FreshlyCompleted said...

That's so cute and funny.

Megan said...

I object. Tyler did not cry. He was more like Reese and a little unsure. He was very tired and I thought for sure he would scream, but shockingly not one tear. I got some cute pictures though. Although the screaming children were so intense and hilarious that I also imagined everyone cried also. That was a night to remember. I don't believe I would volunteer to be Santa Claus EVER!

Harper said...

That is hilarious!