Thursday, January 13, 2011

Deep Breaths. . .





Growing up, my mom had a set of dish towels with this cartoon printed on them, and I always thought they were funny in a sad, "Why would you do that to yourself?" sort of way. But now. I have absolutely become that poor frazzled kitten.

And I'm not sure how to stop it.

Seriously, I really don't know how to say 'no' to things, and even more than that I don't know how to NOT VOLUNTEER for everything in the whole wide world. What's wrong with me, that in the same week I start teaching two 8-week community ed classes, I plan to attend a weekend family get-together where I OFFER to bring a crazy-ambitious, sculpted purse birthday cake (me do something simple? NEVER!), demonstrate how to make french pastry, collaborate on one of the meals, and even try to squeeze a job interview at a local bakery in before I leave?!

I'm a sick, over-achieving, insanely-ambitious-without-the-cool-to-hack-it girl who needs professional help. Ah, the phobia of becoming 'lazy'!


Well, that's about all the time I have to spare for writing-- I've got a red sparkly purse handle to make, and several cups of almonds waiting to be ground.


4 comments:

Kathy Badger said...

Wish I had learned the art of saying no long ago! I think Satan really tries to keep us busy, so we don't have time to meditate and focus on the promptings of the Spirit. BUSY = "Being Under Satan's Yoke." Life flies by too quickly. Children grow too fast. Focus on nurturing your family & YOU while you serve where you WANT and have the extra time for:) You only do good things, just decide each day which good things have the greatest eternal rewards:) Love you! I totally relate!

B.A.M. said...

You definiately shouldn't spend a day with me. You would go crazy! lol I definately only do the minimum. Sometimes I wish I had some the ambition and motivation that you have! I am amazed at all you do!

v said...

You are always so sweet Molly! To like everyone! People will totally understand if you can't make crazy cakes for them. Everyone knows you genuinely care and that you are just as busy with your family. Good luck saying No in the future.

Erin Badger said...

Saying no really is so hard. Last year I reached a breaking point where I finally learned how to do that. Really hard lesson and definitely one to practice every day. In the midst of all this, you can STILL say no at any point. In the recent leadership broadcast for our new manuals the first presidency repeated over and over that our focus in the church needs to be more on families, and that nobody's level of busy-ness should detract from their family. Keep that in mind, eh?