Saturday, October 16, 2010

Who knew?


Tonight I experienced a first: I actually enjoyed watching a John Wayne film.

Ryan's been trying to win me over for a while now, he being a HUGE fan of "The Duke". My dad loves his movies as well, so you'd think I'd follow suit, I mean I love Jean Claude Van Dam and Rocky because of him, so why not the Westerns? Granted we do see more muscle in the aforementioned. . . Hmm, now where was I? Oh yes, Westerns. Never liked 'em. ;)

However, tonight I found myself thoroughly engrossed throughout the entire thing! Shocker.




I was seriously glued! Loved the chuck wagon cook with his booming voice and story-telling presence, stunned to see Anne of Green Gables' beloved Marilla playing the part of a buxom manager of prostitutes, shocked that one of the little boys actually died (somehow that possibility never even entered my mind! I nearly wept.), and freaked out beyond belief at how creepy Bruce Dern could be when threatening that adorable little boy! Up until today I'd only ever seen him in The Burbs, playing the cul-de-sac's resident retired army sergeant. A man who spies on the neighbors with a military-issue night scope and enjoys his animal crackers with a little peace and quiet.

Little aside here, if you haven't seen The Burbs you are Sooooo missing out on one of life's little jewels. Suburban life at it's most ridiculous, and yet, as you watch, you'll easily picture several past (or possibly present?) neighbors who are carbon copies of these crazies. I've already got mine pegged as I write this. Rent it. You'll thank me. You'll laugh yourself to tears. That's all. Ok, sorry- now back to the rave.

I even enjoyed The Duke himself, which I can't say I've done before (please, no hate mail). Couldn't even tell you why, I just liked him. Maybe it was the lack of eye patch, who knows? Anyway, I don't know what else to write except that it was very good, and I wouldn't mind watching it again. Or even owning it, which I'm sure will absolutely make Ryan's day. So, here I am, passing my little film review on to the masses. Watch it. It's great.

And, seriously, get yourself a copy of The Burbs.


4 comments:

Kathy Badger said...

I totally understand your sentiments on all you have written, excet I haven't seen the Burbs. Anyway, watch, "The Quiet Man". John Wayne, not a western, but with Maurine O'Hara, it's a winner!

Danee Hansen said...

I have always been a John Wayne fan :) And this is definitely one of his best films!

Megan Smith said...

ya know, I was so looking forward to seeing the Burbs again a few weeks ago since it's been years that I've seen it. I was actually disapointed! I must have something wrong with me but I even went so far as to FALL ASLEEP during it! And the end scene which I usually died over....where did the magic go? Maybe we need to watch it as a family the next time we get together to revive it to it's previous glory.

Lemonpeel said...

hahah, he finally got you hooked huh? Man, that must have been pretty darn good, I feel the same about western's, maybe it's the filming?? Whatever it is I may have to stop by the library and look for this one... if kyle would ever watch it with me ;)

love you!!!